Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Switchin' Gears.


Bright House by Seabear. [The song I liked most that played while I was writing.]

So, I suppose I should come up with a title for my post, post-post. Cause otherwise, I may end up wanting to write something totally different, but restrict myself unnecessarily and force a post instead. You know? I apologize for being so spread out with these. You may not believe me, but I do look forward to writing here; it's relieving for me. But between work, fraternity matters, and schoolwork--it's hard to find time in between. And please, don't misconstrue those as being horrible things either. I'm very grateful for a paying job, being in a good school, and an awesome brotherhood. It's just that there isn't enough hours in the day.

Tonight, I'd like to talk about LIFE. I know, broad topic. Haha. But in all seriousness, I'd like to hone in on a general life philosophy that I try to abide by and remember.

“Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react to it”

--Charles R. Swindoll


I'm sure we've all faced situations where things didn't seem fair or just. Perhaps someone did something to you that should've never occured. Or on the flipside, maybe someone wasn't there when you needed them most. I don't think anyone will disagree that we are wronged, quite possibly on a regular basis. Unfortunately, the majority of people will use this disappointment or what have you, as a crutch. They either use it as a scapegoat for any failure on their behalf or they defer blame and accept defeat.

The fact is, as much as I hate to say it, what happened, is exactly that--happened. (Now don't get too nitpicky on the grammar there,) That little "-ed" at the end of the word denotes a past tense. And what's in the past is past. We could spend all day saying what it  "should have been" or what it "could have been," but unless you've discovered a feasible method of time travel(in which case, you're wasting your time reading this blog...), there's nothing left to say. All we can do from here is move forward and try to mend whatever injuries we've sustained along the way.



There's a reason why the rearview mirrow is smaller than the windshield, it'd be hazardous the other way around.


It's not healthy to live in the past, but it's important that we recognize its significance in shaping us into who we are today. I just urge you to learn to let go and start making strides in the right direction. In line with my car analogy, if life is a car we're at the wheel of, then that is all we have the wheel of. You never know what life will throw at you or who else is on the road, we're merely in charge of our "car" and ours alone. Yeah, sometimes our cars break down and we need help, sometimes we get into accidents, and sometimes we get lost. But never, think that we can't do anything about it. Take a defense driving course, invest in a particular part of your "car" to avoid future issues, and buy a GPS.

Life is sucky at times, I'm not suggesting it's all gumdrops and rainbows...cause I don't care much for either of those to begin with. But we all have stuff we deal with on a daily basis, some worse than others. Just don't let the external variables make you forget that they are still external, and that we have an internal component as well.

Night, folks.

1 comment:

  1. Mike, when it comes to life and cars, you are quite the wise guru.

    ReplyDelete